We usually run three competitions per year which have cash prizes and are awarded by external guest judges which means that there is a small submission fee. The first competition of 2020 is our Poetry competition which will be judged by Leanne Moden who took her solo poetry show, ‘Skip, Skip, Skip‘ to the 2019 Edinburgh Fringe (our judge last year was Martin Grey. Click here for past winners). Later in the year we will have another Flash Fiction competition (see here for the 2019 winners). Our most recent competition was on Travel Writing (click here for the winners).
A couple of big changes for 2020 are that the prize money has gone up and you can now enter our Poetry Competition by Word/PDF attachments via email – full details below.
Please do not send in entries without reading the rules carefully as we will not accept any that do not conform to our rules.
POETRY Competition, 2020
FIRST PRIZE £50
Second Prize – £30, Third Prize – £20,
With an extra prize of £10 for the best placed LOCAL POET (postcode eligibility NG22/23/24/25)
Remit: Poems using the prompt: “Remote”
Judge: Leanne Moden
Please read these rules carefully. Entries which do not meet the competition’s criteria or breach the rules will be disqualified. The entry fee will not be refunded. The decision of the judge(s) is final. No correspondence can take place regarding the results. We now accept entries sent via email as well as on paper through the post but please note the specific submission criteria.
- Maximum length per entry: 40 lines (excluding title)
- Entries to be typed in a black standard font, 12 pt. If sending hard copy rather than via email they must be printed single-sided on A4 paper.
- All writing must be the original work of the competitor and previously unpublished.
- Do not include your name ANYWHERE in your entry, its title or filename – judging is blind.
- The author retains all rights at all times but by entering the competition you are giving us permission to publish your entry on our website (top 3 only).
- Email entries should be saved as either a Word (.doc or .docx) file, or as a pdf (.pdf). No other formats are acceptable.
- The file name should be your entry title, e.g. my_amazing_writing.pdf or .doc or .docx. Try to avoid generic titles such as fosseway.doc or competition.pdf. DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME IN THE ENTRY TITLE as it will be disqualified if you do.
- Email entries should be sent to email@example.com with your entry as an attachment to the email, putting the entry title as the subject of the email.
- In the body of your email please confirm the title of your entry, and give us your name, address, email address, phone number and line count together with the amount you have paid. Please also note where you saw the competition details. You can send multiple entries in one email.
- Hard copy entries should be accompanied by a separate A4 sheet stating the entry title, author’s name, address, phone number, email address and the line count. Please also note where you saw the competition details.
- Hard copy entries will not be returned; entrants are advised to make a copy of their work before submission. Please check size & weight of envelope to help us avoid extra postal charges.
- Postal entries should be sent to: Fosseway Writers Poetry Competition, Barnfield House, Mill Lane, Normanton on Trent, NG23 6RW.
- Deadline is 23:59, Saturday 21st March 2020.
- Fees: £5 for first entry, £3 for each additional entry. Fosseway Members get £1 discount from total fees payable.
- Email entries: please pay the correct fee by bank transfer to
- Account name: Fosseway Writers Group
- Sort Code: 40-34-08
- Account Number: 91222228
- Reference: Please put your name as the reference
- Entries will not be released for judging until the correct entry fee has been paid.
- Hard copy entries: Cheques should be made payable to Fosseway Writers and enclosed with your printed entry.
The winners will be announced on 7 May 2020 at 7 pm at Knights Court, Balderton Gate, Newark. Prize-winners and commended entrants will be notified before the results evening. Details of the prize-winners are posted on our website at https://fossewaywriters.wordpress.com/ after the winners have been announced.