We usually run three competitions per year which have cash prizes and are awarded by external guest judges. This means that there is a small submission fee and we require your work in hard copy. The last competition of 2017, for fiction on the theme of ‘Giving Up’, was judged by Alex Davis and you can read the winning entries here. The first competition of 2018 (Poetry) closed on 31 March and will be judged by Leanne Moden. See our programme for 2018 for all competitions. As a special link-up with Newark Book Festival, we also ran a free open competition for local writers. The next competition is Flash Fiction (closing date Friday 20 July 2018).
Competition information and rules should be obtained from us before sending in any entries. Please do not send in entries without reading the rules carefully as we will not accept any that do not conform to our rules.
Flash Fiction Competition 2018
on the theme of
FIRST PRIZE £25
Second Prize – £15, Third Prize – £10
Rules of Entry
- Maximum length per entry: 200 words (excluding title).
- Entries to be typed in black ink in double-spacing, 12 pt and printed single-sided on A4 paper.
- All writing must be the original work of the competitor and previously unpublished.
- No name or mark should identify the writer but each entry should be accompanied by a separate A4 sheet stating the entry title, author’s name, address, phone number, email address and the word count. Please also note where you saw the competition details.
- Entries will not be returned; entrants are advised to make a copy of their work before submission. Please check size & weight of envelope to help us avoid extra postal charges.
- We cannot accept email entries under any circumstances.
- The winners will be announced on 6 Sep at 7 pm at Knights Court, Balderton Gate, Newark. Prize-winners and commended entrants will be notified before the results evening. Other entrants will only be notified if an SAE is enclosed with the entry. Please allow several days for receipt of information. We are unable to reply to email requests for results. Details of the prize-winners are posted on our website at https://fossewaywriters.wordpress.com/.
- Please read these rules carefully. Entries which do not meet the competition’s criteria or breach the above rules will be disqualified. The entry fee will not be refunded. The decision of the judge is final. No correspondence can take place regarding the results.
- Closing date for entries is Friday 20 July 2018. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Fees are £3 for first entry; £2 each for further entries, to be sent to: The Competition Secretary, 34 Wright Street, Newark, Notts NG24 1PJ. 01636 672616. Cheques made payable to Fosseway Writers, please.
Whether you enter this competition or not, if you would like to receive information emails about future competitions, please send your email address to: firstname.lastname@example.org