We usually run three competitions per year which have cash prizes and are awarded by external guest judges which means that there is a small submission fee. The first competition of 2019 was our Poetry competition which was judged by Martin Grey. Click here for the winners. We’ve recently completed our Flash Fiction competition (judged by Nick Rowe & Barbara Stewart – see here for the winners). Our current competition is on Travel Writing and for the first time we will be accepting entries as Word/PDF attachments via email – full details below.
Please do not send in entries without reading the rules carefully as we will not accept any that do not conform to our rules.
Travel Writing Competition, 2019
FIRST PRIZE £50
Second Prize – £30, Third Prize – £20,
With an extra prize of £10 for the best placed LOCAL AUTHOR (postcode eligibility NG22/23/24/25)
Remit: Non-fiction. No particular theme other than the requirement to prominently include a location that you have visited and/or the act of travelling.
Judges: Prof. Tim Youngs, Dr Rebecca Butler and Dr Nicola Bowring (Centre for Travel Writing Studies, Nottingham Trent University)
Please read these rules carefully. Entries which do not meet the competition’s criteria or breach the rules will be disqualified. The entry fee will not be refunded. The decision of the judge(s) is final. No correspondence can take place regarding the results. We now accept entries sent via email as well as on paper through the post but please note the specific submission criteria.
- Maximum length per entry: 1500 words (excluding title)
- Entries to be typed in a black standard font, 12 pt. If sending hard copy rather than via email they must be printed single-sided on A4 paper.
- All writing must be the original work of the competitor and previously unpublished.
- Do not include your name ANYWHERE in your story, its title or filename – judging is blind.
- The author retains all rights at all times but by entering the competition you are giving us permission to publish your story on our website (top 3 only).
- Email entries should be saved as either a Word (.doc or .docx) file, or as a pdf (.pdf). No other formats are acceptable.
- The file name should be your story title, e.g. my_amazing_story.pdf or .doc or .docx. Try to avoid generic titles such as fosseway.doc or competition.pdf. DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME IN THE STORY TITLE as it will be disqualified if you do.
- Email entries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with your story as an attachment to the email, putting the story title as the subject of the email.
- In the body of your email please confirm the title of your story, and give us your name, address, email address, phone number and word count together with the amount you have paid. Please also note where you saw the competition details. You can send multiple entries in one email.
- Hard copy entries should be accompanied by a separate A4 sheet stating the entry title, author’s name, address, phone number, email address and the word count. Please also note where you saw the competition details.
- Hard copy entries will not be returned; entrants are advised to make a copy of their work before submission. Please check size & weight of envelope to help us avoid extra postal charges.
- Postal entries should be sent to: Fosseway Writers Flash Fiction Competition, Barnfield House, Mill Lane, Normanton on Trent, NG23 6RW.
- Deadline is 23:59, Saturday 19th October 2019
- Fees: £5 for first entry, £3 for each additional entry. Fosseway Members get £1 discount from total fees payable.
- Email entries: please pay the correct fee by bank transfer to
- Account name: Fosseway Writers Group
- Sort Code: 40-34-08
- Account Number: 91222228
- Reference: Please put your name as the reference
- Stories will not be released for judging until the correct entry fee has been paid.
- Hard copy entries: Cheques should be made payable to Fosseway Writers and enclosed with your printed story.
The winners will be announced on 7 November 2019 at 7 pm at Knights Court, Balderton Gate, Newark. Prize-winners and commended entrants will be notified before the results evening. Details of the prize-winners are posted on our website at https://fossewaywriters.wordpress.com/ after the winners have been announced.