We usually run three competitions per year which have cash prizes and are awarded by external guest judges. This means that there is a small submission fee and we require your work in hard copy. The last competition of 2017, for fiction on the theme of ‘Giving Up’, was judged by Alex Davis and you can read the winning entries here. The first competition of 2018 (Poetry) closed on 31 March will be judged by Leanne Moden. See our programme for 2018 for all competitions.
Competition information and rules should be obtained from us before sending in any entries. Please do not send in entries without reading the rules carefully as we will not accept any that do not conform to our rules.
As a special link-up with Newark Book Festival, we are also running a free open competition for local writers!
2018 Open Writing Competition:
“Newark Stories from the Past”
Judged by Fosseway Writers Panel
Fosseway Writers are pleased to announce the launch of a new competition for writers in the Newark area.
In conjunction with the organisers of the annual Newark Book Festival, we want to see more of the creative talent within our local area and therefore are launching the Joan Stephenson Trophy competition in honour of a long-standing member of the group with a passion for local history. This is a free-to-enter writing competition for writers from the Newark area on the subject of “Newark Stories from the Past”. This accommodates a huge range of subjects and genres, whether fiction, factual essays or memoirs and can span from the building of the Roman fosse way, through the Viking raids, King John and Robin Hood, the Civil War, the arrival of canals and trains, World Wars, nights out at pubs and clubs, right up to the stage finish in last year’s Tour of Britain.
We’re looking for engaging pieces that take the reader back to that particular time. As for places, anywhere in the local area is fair game, from Southwell and the edges of Sherwood Forest to the local airfields just over the border into Lincolnshire.
There are two age groups (under 16s and adult) and the winners will be presented with trophies at a special ceremony during Newark Book Festival (13-15 July 2018). Deadline is 18 May 2018 and full rules of entry are below.
2018 Joan Stephenson Trophy Competition
RULES OF ENTRY
- Two age groups, Young Writers (7 to 15) and Adults (over 16s) with age being calculated on 18th May 2018.
- Maximum length per entry, excluding title: 1,500 words (Adults) and 750 words (Young Writers).
- Entrants must live in the local area (post code areas NG22 / 23 / 24 / 25).
- All writing must be the original work of the competitor and previously unpublished.
- The results will be announced at Newark Book Festival at noon on Sunday 15 July where trophies will be awarded to the winners and certificates to the runners-up. Winners will be notified before the results day. We are unable to reply to email requests for results. Details of the prize-winners will be posted on this web page.
- All entries must be made by email with the entry being a separate attachment in a Word or PDF format. The subject line of the email should state that it is “Newark Writing Competition Entry” and whether it is for the Adult or Young Writers section. The body of the email must contain the entry title, author’s name, age (if under 16), address,phone number and the word count. Please also note where you saw the competition details.
- The actual entry on the separate Word / PDF attachment should show the title and author’s initials. The text should be in a standard font such as Arial, in black 12 pt, double line spaced.
- Please read these rules carefully. Entries which do not meet the competition’s criteria or breach the above rules will be disqualified. The decision of the judging panel is final. No correspondence can take place regarding the results.
- Closing date for entries is 18 May 2018. Late entries will cannot be accepted. Members of Fosseway Writers may not participate in this competition.
- All entries to be sent to: email@example.com
Whether you enter this competition or not, if you would like to receive information emails about future competitions, please send your email address to: firstname.lastname@example.org