We usually run three competitions per year which have cash prizes and are awarded by external guest judges. This means that there is a small submission fee and we require your work in hard copy. The first competition of 2019 was our Poetry competition which was judged by Martin Grey who won the title of “Bard of Southwell” in 2018. Click here for the winners. Our current competition is for Flash Fiction on the theme of “Nest” (full details below) and will be judged by Nick Rowe & Barbara Stewart.
Competition information and rules should be obtained from us before sending in any entries. Please do not send in entries without reading the rules carefully as we will not accept any that do not conform to our rules.
FLASH FICTION Competition 2019
on the theme of: Nest
Judges: Nick Rowe & Barbara Stewart (Fosseway Writers)
FIRST PRIZE £25
Second Prize – £15, Third Prize – £10,
With an extra prize of £10 for the winner of the LOCAL FLASH FICTION AUTHOR (postcode eligibility NG22/23/24/25)
Rules of Entry
- Maximum length per entry: 300 words (excluding title).
- Entries to be typed in black ink in double-spacing, 12 pt and printed single-sided on A4 paper.
- All writing must be the original work of the competitor and previously unpublished.
- No name or mark should identify the writer but each entry should be accompanied by a separate A4 sheet stating the entry title, author’s name, address, phone number, email address and the line count. Please also note where you saw the competition details.
- Entries will not be returned; entrants are advised to make a copy of their work before submission. Please check size & weight of envelope to help us avoid extra postal charges.
- We cannot accept email entries under any circumstances.
- The winners will be announced on 5 September 2019 at 7 pm at Knights Court, Balderton Gate, Newark. Prize-winners and commended entrants will be notified before the results evening. Other entrants will only be notified if an SAE is enclosed with the entry. Please allow several days for receipt of information. We are unable to reply to email requests for results. Details of the prize-winners are posted on our website at https://fossewaywriters.wordpress.com/.
- Please read these rules carefully. Entries which do not meet the competition’s criteria or breach the above rules will be disqualified. The entry fee will not be refunded. The decision of the judge is final. No correspondence can take place regarding the results.
- Closing date for entries is 10 August 2019. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Fees are £3 for first entry; £2 each for further entries, to be sent to: Fosseway Writers Flash Fiction Competition, Barnfield House, Mill Lane, Normanton on Trent, NG23 6RW. Cheques made payable to Fosseway Writers, please.
Whether you enter this competition or not, if you would like to receive information emails about future competitions, please send your email address to: email@example.com