We have a regular programme of formal meetings and workshops (on the first Thursday of the month), complemented by informal socials on the third Thursday where we read and discuss some of our work to other members over a pint at the Organ Grinder pub. Thanks to Clair, our new Programme Secretary, for pulling this together!
Formal Meeting Dates
- 3 January – Blogging, Connecting through Social Media, and Online Collaboration. Nick Rowe and Clair Robshaw explain why blogging, tweeting and forums are useful and, perhaps, encourage you to take advantage of the opportunities that have opened up for writers. (It’s also the launch of our annual Poetry Competition)
- 7 February – Writing Exercises!
- 7 March – Short Story Workshop with Giselle Leeb
- 4 April – Writing Crime Fiction with Stephen Booth. Stephen is also running writing courses throughout 2019; potentially in Newark if there is enough interest.
- 2 May – Poetry with Martin Grey (Bard of Southwell, 2018), including the results of the poetry competition
- 6 June – Newark Book Festival preparation meeting
- 4 July – Summer Social. A friendly social gathering where we can chat about books, writing or anything else that takes your fancy, along with drinks and nibbles.
- Fri 12 – Sun 14 July – Newark Book Festival.
- 5 September – AGM and results of the Flash Fiction competition.
- 3 October – Publishing Options Workshop with Alex Davis. In this session, creative writing tutor and lecturer Alex Davis will explore the range of options available for writers to get their work out there, with a look at the pros and cons of self-publishing, small presses and mainstream presses alike. The session will also look at the best routes by which to make a breakthrough in each of these avenues with practical advice and guidance for attendees.
- 7 November – Travel Writing with Prof Tim Youngs, including the results of the travel writing competition.
- 5 December – Christmas Social. Venue to be confirmed.
All meetings, whether formal workshops at Knights Court or informal read-outs at the Organ Grinder, are 7-9 pm.