We have a regular programme of formal meetings and workshops (usually on the first Thursday of the month), complemented by informal socials on the third Thursday where we read some of our work to other members over a cuppa (there may even be biscuits or cake). For 2017 we’ve decided to be a little more flexible to cater for new ideas and so are producing the programme in two halves. Here’s the first!
Programme 2017 – Jan-Jun
Formal Meeting Dates
- 5 January – Workshop, Nick Rowe on ‘Creating a Blog’. A year ago Nick made a New Year’s resolution to join a writers’ group and now he finds himself giving a talk on blogging – what it is and why it’s great for writers. It’s also an opportunity to bring along a poem or a piece of writing on New year/resolutions/beginnings, etc. (If that isn’t enough, it’s also the launch of the Poetry Competition)
- 2 February – Speaker, Megan Taylor on ‘Getting Your Short Stories Out There’. Megan ran a series of workshop on this theme for Writing School East Midlands. Perhaps this is the year to get your short story published!
- 2 March – Workshop, Julie Malone on ‘Writing Fantasy’. Julie is from New Writers UK and will talk about a genre that at first glance doesn’t attract as much attention as it perhaps should so this session could well lead to some new ideas. (Also the closing date for Poetry Competition and Launch of Flash Fiction Competition)
- 6 April – Speakers, Leslie Tate and Sue Hampton. Leslie is a poet and graduate of the University of East Anglia Creative Writing School. Sue has written 21 books for children and teens and has been praised by Michael Morpurgo.
- 4 May – Results of Poetry Competition, judged by Peter Day (former Fosseway member) and an associate.
- 1 June – NEWARK LIBRARY EVENT: Speaker, Stephen Booth on ‘Writing Crime Fiction’. Stephen is the author of 16 best-selling novels featuring Derbyshire police detectives Cooper & Fry. (Plus the launch of the Fiction Competition)
And here’s the second half of the year:
Programme 2017 – Jul-Dec
- 6 July – Summer Social. A friendly social gathering at Newark Bowls Club where we can chat about books, writing or anything else that takes your fancy, along with drinks and nibbles. (Closing date for Flash Fiction competition).
- 7 September – AGM and results of the Flash Fiction competition judged by Roberta Dewa. Roberta teaches at the University of Nottingham and is a novelist and memoirist. (Closing date for the Fiction competition).
- 5 October – Workshop, Clare Harvey on ‘Writing Historical Fiction’. Clare is the author of two historical novels “The Gunner Girl” and “The English Agent” set in World War 2.
- 2 November – results of the Fiction competition judged by Alex Davis. Alex is a horror writer published in many magazines and has run two excellent workshops for Fosseway Writers.
- 7 December – Christmas Social. Venue to be confirmed.