We have a regular programme of formal meetings and workshops (usually on the first Thursday of the month), complemented by informal socials on the third Thursday where we read some of our work to other members over a cuppa (there may even be biscuits or cake). Thanks to Sue & Andy, our new Events Secretaries, for pulling this together!
Formal Meeting Dates
- 4 January – Creative Writing Workshop with Richard Berry. Richard worked as a solicitor for seventeen years before taking an MA in Creative Writing. He has had short stories published in a variety of publications and now teaches creative writing as part of ‘A’ Level English Language. (It’s also the launch of our annual Poetry Competition)
- 1 February – Speaker, Sara Bullimore on Newark Book Festival 2018. The Festival grows every year and Fosseway Writers will be key contributors in 2018. Sara will explain more about the festival and how we can engage with the event. There will be competitions, stalls and a new Fosseway anthology (more news about these on the day!)
- 1 March – Workshop, Giselle Leeb on ‘Short Story Writing’. Giselle’s short stories have appeared in Best British Short Stories 2017 and she won third prize for short fiction in the Elbow Room and Aurora competitions as well as being shortlisted for the Bridport and Mslexia prizes. Giselle is a web developer and an assistant editor at Reckoning Journal.
- 5 April – Workshop, Caroline Bingham on Writing for Magazines. Caroline is the Chief Executive of County Life Ltd, the company that produces Lincolnshire Life, the popular county magazine established in 1961. (Also the Launch of Flash Fiction Competition).
- 3 May – Newark Book Festival update. With just ten weeks to go before the big Festival weekend we will be reviewing our plans and preparations!
- 7 June – Poetry Competition Results, judged by Leanne Moden. Leanne is a poet and performer, originally from Norfolk but now based in Nottingham. She co-founded the sonnet-writing collective “28 Sonnets Later” and hosts the ‘Crosswords’ spoken word open mic nights in Nottingham. Leanne was Fenland Poet Laureate in 2013. (Plus the launch of the Letter Writing Competition).
- 5 July – Summer Social. A friendly social gathering where we can chat about books, writing or anything else that takes your fancy, along with drinks and nibbles.
- Sat 14 – Sun 15 July – Newark Book Festival.
- 6 September – AGM and results of the Flash Fiction competition judged by Pat Foster of Newark Library.
- 4 October – Workshop, Alex Davis on ‘Writing Ghost Stories’. Alex is a horror writer published in many magazines and is a regular contributor to Fosseway Writers.
- 1 November – results of the Letter Writing competition judged by Clare Harvey. Clare is the author of three novels “The Gunner Girl“, “The English Agent” and “The Night Raid”, all set in World War 2.
- 6 December – Christmas Social. Venue to be confirmed.